Bakersfield Catastrophic Injury Attorney
All San Diego Case Types
Slip & Fall
Bakersfield Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Catastrophic injuries change the lives of Bakersfield residents, workers, and visitors every day. They happen in car accidents on Truxtun Avenue, falls at Laurel Glen homes, heavy equipment malfunctions on south Bakersfield construction projects, and countless other incidents throughout Bakersfield and the Central Valley. No matter their cause, catastrophic injuries leave subject victims and their families to unimaginable suffering and expense.
Many catastrophic injuries in Bakersfield happen because of the careless or dangerous actions of someone other than the innocent victim. In those cases, victims of catastrophic injuries have a right to receive financial compensation to support them in rebuilding their health and lives.
Gomez Trial Attorneys can help. Our catastrophic injury attorneys represent accident victims in Bakersfield. Contact us today to learn how we may assist you in securing the money you need after a catastrophic injury disrupts your life.
GOMEZ TRIAL ATTORNEYS – WE GET RESULTS
Gomez Trial Attorneys is a highly rated law firm serving clients in Bakersfield and throughout the Central Valley. Founded by a graduate of one of the country’s best law schools, and staffed with award-winning trial lawyers, our team has the talent, skills, and financial resources to tackle the most complicated and challenging cases involving the most severe and life-altering injuries.
We get results. Over the last fifteen years, our attorneys have secured nearly one billion dollars in jury verdicts, judgments, and out-of-court settlements on behalf of our injured clients. Of course, our past results don’t guarantee the outcomes in future cases, but they do show that our tough, experienced trial lawyers have what it takes to secure maximum compensation in Bakersfield catastrophic injury cases.
OVERVIEW OF BAKERSFIELD CATASTROPHIC INJURIESLawyers refer to an injury as “catastrophic” when it inflicts harm that permanently alters a victim’s life. Just about any injury imaginable can become catastrophic in particular circumstances, but some injuries consistently cause catastrophic disruption and expense in victims’ lives more than others. Common catastrophic injuries the Gomez Trial Attorneys team can help with include:
- Traumatic and non-traumatic brain injuries, which qualify as catastrophic when they cause lasting loss of consciousness (coma) or severe cognitive, motor, or emotional impairments that prevent victims from living independently.
- Spinal cord injuries, especially when they cause permanent paralysis that robs victims from the use of their limbs, forces them to rely on wheelchairs for mobility, and imposes massive lifetime expenses totaling millions of dollars.
- The traumatic loss of limbs or appendages due to amputation or crush injuries, which leaves a victim permanently disabled and reliant on expensive assistive devices such as prosthetics or wheelchairs.
- Loss of sight or hearing, to which victims may adapt over time, but which fundamentally alters how victims interact with the world.
- Organ damage, which can cause lasting health complications and force victims to change their approach to every aspect of their lives, from their nutrition to their activity levels.
- Severe burns that cause extreme pain, require multiple surgeries, and permanently scar, disfigure, and disable survivors.
HOW CATASTROPHIC INJURIES HAPPEN IN BAKERSFIELDOne of the most unsettling aspects of a catastrophic injury is that it can happen at any moment, anywhere in Bakersfield. One moment life is going along as normal. The next moment, nothing will ever be the same. At Gomez Trial Attorneys, our team has confronted a wide array of circumstances that led to our clients suffering catastrophic injuries. Here are some common scenarios. MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS Crashes on roads like Highway 99 or Truxtun Avenue, downtown streets around the art museums, or in neighborhoods like La Cresta and Alta Vista, can all inflict catastrophic injuries. In fact, motor vehicle accidents involving passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, and motorcycles consistently account for a large portion of life-altering injuries that harm individuals in Bakersfield every year. ‘ PEDESTRIAN AND BICYCLE ACCIDENTS Collisions between motor vehicles and pedestrians or cyclists, as well as other types of cycling crashes, also regularly inflict catastrophic injuries. They commonly happen at Bakersfield intersections and on road shoulders. FALLS Any kind of fall can inflict catastrophic injuries. They happen at homes and construction sites, or when workers or homeowners fall from rooftops, ladders, or other heights. They happen at downtown restaurants when patrons slip and fall on wet tile floors. No matter how a fall occurs, it can have devastating consequences. In particular, falls constitute a significant contributor to catastrophic injuries among older Californians, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). NEAR-DROWNINGS Children in Bakersfield face a high risk of suffering catastrophic injuries in near-drowning incidents, many of them in backyard or public swimming pools. A near-drowning incident can lead to significant brain injury or spinal injury, depending on its cause. GUNSHOT WOUNDS Kern County has seen an alarming increase in homicide deaths over the past few years, many of them involving shootings. According to KidsData.org, a California organization focused on the wellbeing of children in the state, gunshot wounds also account for a steady, and tragic, stream of non-fatal injuries, particularly among children and young adults in the Bakersfield Area. In recent years, several dozen young people in Kern County have been hospitalized with gunshot injuries annually, the majority of them having suffered harm in violent crimes. TOXIC EXPOSURES AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES Exposure to environmental contaminants, such as lead paint or asbestos, can cause serious illnesses and developmental disabilities that lead to catastrophic outcomes in Bakersfield. Similarly, individuals can sustain lifelong harm from being accidentally exposed to dangerous infectious diseases, such as COVID-19. FIRES AND EXPLOSIONS Building fires and explosions in Bakersfield have declined from decades ago, as building standards and fire code enforcement have improved. However, they still have the potential to cause injuries on occasion in Bakersfield homes and businesses. Fires and explosions can also cause catastrophic injuries in settings like commercial kitchens and construction sites, where individuals work close to open flames.
POTENTIAL COMPENSATION FOR A CATASTROPHIC INJURYIn addition to causing permanent harm, catastrophic injuries also tend to inflict extreme financial costs. As mentioned above, a spinal cord injury’s lifetime costs routinely total millions of dollars, for example. Other catastrophic injuries similarly hold the potential to crush victims and their families under an unsupportable financial burden. In fact, a recent study reported by CNBC estimated that two-thirds of all personal bankruptcies stem from medical issues, including due to medical debt, and the loss of income when health problems keep someone out of work. Victims of catastrophic injuries in Bakersfield may have the right to receive compensation that helps them overcome those financial burdens, however. Two common sources of compensation for catastrophic injuries that the team at Gomez Trial Attorneys can often pursue on behalf of clients are lawsuits for damages and workers’ compensation insurance claims.
LAWSUITS FOR CATASTROPHIC INJURY DAMAGESCalifornia law holds individuals, businesses, government entities, and others financially responsible when their careless, reckless, or intentional actions harm others. Injured victims of someone else’s wrongful actions can often secure compensation for their injuries and losses by filing a lawsuit in Bakersfield-area courts seeking damages. Every catastrophic injury lawsuit we handle at Gomez Trial Attorneys differs, but in general, injured individuals can file a suit for damages and can often obtain compensation to pay for:
- Medical care related to their catastrophic injury and any health complications resulting from it, such as surgeries, hospital stays, medication, and medical devices and equipment.
- Out-of-pocket expenses they would not have incurred were it not for the catastrophic injury. These often include costs involved in modifying a living space to accommodate a disability, or in hiring extra help with day-to-day tasks.
- The lost income they would have earned were it not for their injury, such as when they miss work while in the hospital, or become permanently disabled and stop working.
- Pain, suffering, and a diminishment in their quality of life as a result of their catastrophic injury. Our clients frequently experience strain in personal relationships, emotional and mental health challenges, and an overall loss of enjoyment of living because of their injuries, all of which deserve compensation.
- Coverage for all reasonably necessary medical treatment for the worker’s catastrophic injury and any health complications resulting from it.
- Disability payments to replace a portion of any wages the worker loses because of a temporary or permanent disability.
HOW GOMEZ TRIAL ATTORNEYS CAN HELP WITH A CATASTROPHIC INJURYAt Gomez Trial Attorneys, victims of catastrophic injuries and their family members come to us knowing they need and deserve compensation for what happened to them. They do not always know, however, just what it is that a skilled and resourceful team of trial lawyers like us can do on their behalf. Every catastrophic injury case differs, of course. In fact, one of the most important things to know about Gomez Trial Attorneys is that our team approaches every catastrophic injury claim in Bakersfield as a unique situation deserving of our focused attention and detailed analysis. We tailor the services we provide for our clients to their individual needs and priorities. The specific steps we might take for our clients depend on what we and our clients together decide constitutes the most effective, efficient way to secure maximum compensation for their injuries and losses. In any given catastrophic injury case in Bakersfield, our team may:
- Investigate the root causes of the accident or incident that led to our client’s catastrophic injury, assisted (when appropriate) by a network of scientific, medical, and forensic experts who can help us understand exactly what happened and who should be held accountable.
- Calculate the full measure of our client’s injuries and losses, including especially our client’s future financial needs. We aim to ensure that any action we take on our client’s behalf will demand an adequate amount of money to support our client throughout their lifetime of living with a catastrophic injury.
- Advise our client’s on the options we believe are available under the law for securing maximum compensation.
- Answer our client’s questions and explain the costs and benefits of the strategies we suggest, always taking the time to make sure our client understands the actions we propose to take.
- Update our client regularly about the progress of any steps we have taken.
- Prepare and file lawsuits and insurance claims demanding compensation from any party who owes our client damages or benefits payments.
- Negotiate with defense lawyers and insurance companies to secure settlements of our client’s claims, provided those settlements represent fair compensation for our client’s catastrophic injuries and losses.
- Prove our client’s cases at a trial or other proceeding in a Bakersfield court.
- Collect the money due to our client when we successfully settle or win a case.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT BAKERSFIELD CATASTROPHIC INJURY CASESMany individuals who reach out to us at Gomez Trial Attorneys to talk about their catastrophic injuries have lots of questions that need answering. We’re always happy to take the time to answer any questions they may have. Bakersfield catastrophic injury victims and their families may also find the following FAQ about catastrophic injury cases helpful. CAN I SUE FOR MY CATASTROPHIC INJURY? It depends on what happened, but in our experience at Gomez Trial Attorneys, more often than not the circumstances leading to a catastrophic injury in Bakersfield give the injured victim the right to take some sort of legal action seeking compensation. The best way to find out for sure is to speak right away, for free, with an experienced Bakersfield catastrophic injury attorney. By way of illustration, Bakersfield catastrophic injury victims can frequently file lawsuits for damages against:
- Drivers of vehicles who caused the crash that injured the victim, and the employers of those drivers when the crash involved a work vehicle.
- Bakersfield property owners whose failure to take reasonable steps to keep a premises safe led to an accident or incident, like a fall, explosion, or near-drowning, that injured the victim.
- Manufacturers of defective consumer or industrial products that malfunctioned and inflicted a catastrophic injury.
- Medical professionals whose failure to deliver a minimum standard of medical care led to a catastrophic injury or illness.
- Perpetrators of violent crimes that cause catastrophic injuries, and others who have a legal obligation to answer for those criminal actions.
EXPERIENCED CATASTROPHIC INJURY LAWYERS IN BAKERSFIELDBy definition, a catastrophic injury permanently alters a victim’s life. It causes pain, difficulty, and significant expense. Victims and their families should not have to bear those burdens on their own when the injury results from someone’s wrongful actions, or when it happens in connection with the victim’s work. Gomez Trial Attorneys exists to help victims of preventable and workplace injuries secure maximum compensation to pay for their care, replace their income, and support them through a difficult time in their lives. Our team of seasoned, award-winning trial lawyers has a proven track record of securing top-dollar financial outcomes in even the toughest catastrophic injury cases. If you or a loved one suffered a catastrophic injury in Bakersfield, and you want to learn about your rights to receive compensation, we invite you to contact us online or to call us at 866-TRIAL LAW (866-874-2552) for a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation with a member of our team. We can answer your questions and help you explore your options.
INJURED IN AN ACCIDENT? GET A REAL TRIAL LAWYER. GET GOMEZ
Our Process... Easy as 1. 2. 3!
We will determine your case and submit
We get to work
You will get regular update from us
Collect your compensation
550+ 5 Star Reviews
“John helped me find doctors, he referred me to his neurologist, his physical therapist, I mean, anything I needed he was right there, every step of the way. I couldn’t have asked for a better result from all of this, I would absolutely recommend Gomez Trial Attorneys.”
“During the time I was working with Gomez Trial Attorneys, they treated me very, very well. 100% of the time, they believed me, and they were very compassionate. They felt sorry for what happened and they understood the therapy process.”
“They held my hand the whole time and kept me in the loop every aspect of my case which was very refreshing to me. They helped me get my settlement offer as fast as possible and I was able to keep my farm”
“The Gomez experience was the best experience it could be for me really, only positive things to say. They really were there every step if the way. Thanks to Gomez Trial Attorneys my dad is able to support my family as a single father”
“He opened the door for me to join his firm to help other brain Injury survivors and I never met another firm who is like this who was so understanding and caring who took the extra step and walked the extra mile with their clients and this is the best”
“I am very satisfied with the outcome with Gomez and I would definitely recommend Gomez to anybody, we tell people all the time, Get Gomez! They are really thorough with everything and they make you feel real comfortable.”
“Just helped us through, guided us through, I kept notes all those years, we had questions all the time and they would always keep us informed of what was going on. They just unlayered it, layer by layer, I’ve never seen anything like them. Thank God for them.”