[Note: This recall expands the January 18 recall to include approximately 4.9 million additional pounds of beef and veal products, and to correct net weights from 40 lbs. to 50 lbs. in five instances in the earlier release.]
February 16, 2010 – Huntington Meat Packing Inc., of Montebello, Calif., is expanding its January 18th recall to include approximately 4.9 million additional pounds of beef and veal products that were not produced in accordance with the company’s food safety plan.
The products are adulterated because the company made the products under insanitary conditions failing to take the steps it had determined were necessary to produce safe products, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
FSIS has received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of these products. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact a physician.
The recall was expanded based on evidence collected in an ongoing criminal investigation being conducted by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) with assistance from FSIS. This evidence shows that the products subject to this recall expansion were produced in a manner that did not follow the establishment’s Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) plan.
The following beef and veal products, produced by the plant from January 22, 2009, to January 4, 2010, are subject to recall:
- 10 lb. boxes of “IMPERIAL MEAT CO. GROUND BEEF PATTY”
- 10 lb. boxes of “El Rancho MEAT & PROVISION ALL BEEF PATTIES”
- 20 lb. boxes of “IMPERIAL MEAT CO. GROUND BEEF PATTY”
- 50 lb. boxes of “HUNTINGTON MEATS GROUND BEEF”
- 50 lb. boxes of ” HUNTINGTON MEAT PKG. INC. BEEF GROUND FOR FURTHER PROCESSING”
- 50 lb. boxes of “BEEF BURRITO FILLING MIX”
- 50 lb. boxes of “HUNTINGTON MEAT PKG. INC. DICED BEEF”
- 50 lb. boxes of “HUNTINGTON MEAT PKG. INC. SLICED BEEF”
- 10 lb. boxes of “Huntington Meat VEAL PATTY”
- 10 lb. boxes of “Imperial Meat VEAL PATTY”
- 10 lb. boxes of “El Rancho VEAL PATTY”
- 20 lb. boxes of “Huntington Meat VEAL PATTY”
- 20 lb. boxes of “Imperial Meat VEAL PATTY”
- 20 lb. boxes of “El Rancho VEAL PATTY”
Each box bears the establishment number “EST. 17967” inside the USDA mark of inspection on a label. The products were produced between January 22, 2009, and January 4, 2010, and were shipped to distribution centers, restaurants, and hotels within the State of California.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers (including restaurants) of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.